Suddenly feeling unwell after a wasp sting

Everyone gets stung by a wasp sometimes. In most people it only causes a local reaction such as swelling, pain and itching. But does someone have a very allergic reaction to a wasp sting? A shock can then occur, which is life-threatening. A wasp sting can cause a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis). Mild to very serious symptoms can then develop within a few seconds to hours.

Symptoms of a wasp sting:

  • Pain, itching and swelling at the sting site (this is the case with almost everyone)
  • skin rash (as if you fell into nettles)
  • nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps and diarrhea
  • short of breath
  • swelling in places other than the sting site (lips and eyelids)

 

Life-threatening symptoms after a wasp sting

All these symptoms can occur to a greater or lesser extent with a wasp sting. It becomes very threatening if:

  • someone looks very pale, cold, and sweaty
  • and feels dizzy
  • can become unconscious

You can experience these symptoms if you have an allergic reaction to a wasp sting. The blood vessels then widen, and blood and fluid can leak from the blood vessels. It is urgent that such a person receives an injection of adrenaline very quickly. Adrenaline causes the blood vessels to shrink again, preventing blood and fluid from leaking through the vessel wall.
If someone is allergic, they almost always react immediately to a wasp sting. But sometimes it can also take a few hours.

Allergy wasps

Most allergic reactions are caused by wasps. Because of bees and bumblebees, a lot fewer people are allergic to them. Wasps are attracted to food, fruit, drinks, rubbish, perfume and bright colours. People who are allergic to wasps should try to avoid eating and drinking outdoors as much as possible during the wasp season. This also applies to using perfumes and wearing bright colors. Most people who know they are allergic always carry an emergency kit with which they can suck out the poison and administer a drug themselves to inhibit the allergic reaction. They also often have an epipen, which is an injection of adrenaline in case a severe allergic reaction occurs.

Method to get over the allergy

If people have had a severe reaction to a wasp sting, they can consider a desensitization treatment. This is a way to extinguish an allergy. A small amount of wasp venom is injected every so often. This increases a little more after each time. This way, the first time the wasp venom (which is very minimal) is injected, the body has the opportunity to produce antibodies itself. This is used again the next time a little more wasp venom is injected.

Another emergency

It can also happen that a wasp flies through the mouth into the throat and stings there. Even if you are not allergic to wasps, it can cause swelling. And because there is no room for swelling in the throat, it will close off the windpipe and cause a choking hazard. Urgent need to see a doctor immediately.

read more

  • Wasp sting / insect sting
© 2024 ApaFungsi.Com